The end of August or beginning of September is the ideal time to visit the Empordà. Tourism starts to wind down, the long days and good weather are still with us, and there’s no denying that what we really want to do is to make the very most of every minute of the last weeks of summer.
This is exactly when the grape harvest begins at the DO Empordà wineries, where all sorts of celebrations are held as a prelude to tasting the wines, made with the region’s local varieties: White, Red and Grey Grenache (locally known as lledoner), Macabeu, White and Red Carignan, without forgetting Muscat and the traditional Xarel·lo.
Tread grapes, tread the region with all the family
DO Empordà comprises 2,700 hectares of vineyards. The diversity of its soils and the tramontana wind enable farmers to produce top quality local wines.
So, take advantage of the end of summer to visit the region and take part in the very popular grape harvest activities organised by the DO Empordà wineries:
- “A Family Grape Harvest” at La Vinyeta, in Mollet de Peralada, where there’s an authentic festival for all ages.
- “A Traditional Grape Harvest” at Espelt Viticultors, in Vilajuïga, with breakfast paired with live music included.
- A grape and wine tasting at the Castell de Perelada winery, which has vineyards like Finca Garbet, privileged settings.
- A visit and tasting of grape must at Cellers d’en Guilla, in Rabós d’Empordà, where the grapes are picked by hand.
- The grape harvest at Empordàlia is entitled “Make your Own Grape Must!”. During the activity, apart from enjoying grape-picking as it used to be done in the old days, participants are taken back to the winery on a little train to tuck into a hearty breakfast together.
- The wine harvest is also celebrated at Mas Geli in Pals, where there’s a guided visit and wine tasting into the bargain.
- Every September, the grape harvest is celebrated with a programme of activities for all the family at different venues in Calonge and Capmany: excursions, guided visits, concerts …
Tread grapes, tread the region!
It’s time to harvest the fruit and experience grape-picking for yourself. Would you like to have a go?
Click here to find out about the companies that form part of the DO Empordà Wine Route.